04-29-2017, 05:45 PM
ALEXANDRIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION
Your Source for Alexandrian News.
Your Source for Alexandrian News.
April 29, 2017
From the Shinjitsu, Jingdao’s national news service.
SAINT JEAN BAPTISTE, EAST BAUDRIX; ABC NEWS – After Alexandria’s loss of Penguin Island and a return to defensive positions on both sides, the SANE powers and the Jingdaoese-Apollonian Union have agreed to a general cease-fire agreement to bring fighting to a close in the War of Jingdaoese Immolation.
Negotiations between both sides were conducted via diplomatic cables for weeks after Jingdao took back the Tapferian enclaves of Kukegongji (Penguin Island) and Zibincheng from Alexandrian forces. Alexandrian military forces launched Operation Hercules which took the enclaves on April 9th, and organized the Special Military District of Trocadero and a maritime exclusion zone around the area.
Known in Alexandria alternatively as the War of Miki Minach, Shireroth, Alexandria and Natopia fought the Jingdaoese-Apollonian Union after their declaration of war on all SANE nations on April 1st. Alexandria and the other SANE nations replied with their own declarations days later.
Jingdao's war declaration came after months of increased tensions between the SANE nations and the Jingdaoese-Apollonian Union over the ongoing civil war in Hamland.
The agreement includes reverting to the status quo ante bellum territorially, a cease-fire, and the establishment of a Demilitarized Zone in Apollonia on the border between Natopia and Jingdao. Further details are being finalized, while the actual text of the agreement remains shrouded as talks continue.
The war has also had Calbion wake from slumber and come out in support of Jingdao. Calbion's proximity to the Alexandrian Cibolan and Tapferian metropoles made it a valuable asset and ally for Jingdao to take the war into Terrenoire, San Martin, and Northern Cibola. Calbion support was key for Jingdao to retake their Tapferian enclaves.
Despite a cease-fire and a return to peace, the Armistice is not likely to put a stop to tensions between the formerly warring countries. Dr. Stephen Grenier, President of the Foreign Policy Institute, a prominent Alexandrian foreign and defense policy think-tank, thinks that the SANE-Jingdao confrontation will continue. "The confrontation will continue as each side will try at every turn to outdo each other in military superiority, culture, and development. There will be a Cold War much like the one between the Council of Free Nations and the Raspur Pact," he said.
The situation has placed strong pressure on Alexandrian military leaders, who are facing public backlash on the loss of Trocadero and a reversal of progress in the war. "We should have planned for Calbion's entry and we should have taken the war to them too," says the leader of the new National Conservative Party, Oliver Poincaré. "Alexandria should have fought back." Letter writing campaigns to Deputies and marches in Geneva for or against the Armistice have energized both the left and the right in Alexandria.
Once the Armistice is signed, it will go to the Imperial Assembly for approval, where it is expected to pass narrowly.
GENEVA, ICG; ABC NEWS – Rounds of diplomatic talks have begun in Geneva with factions of the Hammish Civil War, led by the Council of Free Nations and Alexandria's appointed Envoy Monica Roig.
The Geneva Conference on Hamland is attended by representatives of the National Provisional Authority, and the Hammish opposition, divided among he National Salvation Front, the Hammish Republican Army, the Ravaillac Loyalists, the United Monovia Congress, the Samerican Militia, and the Weanburg Militia. Special efforts by representatives from the Council of Free Nations have been working for the last year to bring all the factions together after a civil war that has plunged the entire country into destruction, disease, famine, and guerrilla warfare.
Estimates of deaths in the Hammish Civil War, per the Hammish Humanitarian Council and other human rights groups, vary between 1,321,358 and 3,470,000. The Alexandrian Envoy to Hamland has put out an estimate of 2,975,800 that had died in the war until now. The Hammish Children Fund reported that over 200,000 children had been killed. These claims have been contested by the National Provisional Authority, Hamland's government. Refugee camps have been set up by Alexandria in Santander and Valencia, where now 800,000 Hammish refugees live.
Talks have begun to settle into a diplomatic framework that has been agreed to by all parties, brokered by Emperor Edgard II and representatives of the Church of Alexandria. The key question that now hangs above the beginning of the conference is the fate of General Augustus Eliphas, head of the National Provisional Authority. A basic cease-fire has gone into effect, but skirmishes still occur along the front lines occasionally.
Hammish opposition groups are demanding the removal of General Augustus Eliphas, and are largely unified around the need to dissolve the National Provisional Authority, create a new national unity government, and electing a Constitutional Convention to write a new Constitution. The factions are divided on what kind of new future they want Hamland to have, but they're all unified on prosecuting Augustus Eliphas for "crimes against the people of Hamland," according to sources that remain anonymous for not being authorized to comment publicly on the talks. The Hammish opposition groups have acclaimed Regina Ravaillac as their chief leader in the negotiations, supported by representatives of the different individual groups.
Sources close to the talks say that plans for Council of Free Nations peacekeepers from Alexandria and Stormark have been considered, to monitor the situation on the ground and provide help international humanitarian organizations distribute aid and observe the cease-fire on the ground. Both the Alexandrian and Storish governments have yet to confirm that a plan has been agreed to.
At the moment, the Council of Free Nation has 600 "diplomatic and military observers" around Hamland monitoring the situation, mostly from New Kirrie, Zurich, and Zalae.
Margin of Error: ± 3%
Direction of Country
According to the IOP/ABC News Poll:
- 47% of Alexandrians believe the country is going in the right direction, while
- 47% believe it is on the wrong track.
Approval of the LA-UMD Coalition Government
According to the IOP/ABC News Poll:
- 48% of Alexandrians approve of the Coalition Government's job performance, while
- 46% disapprove.
- 6% had no opinion or were unsure.
According to a Geneva Strategies Poll:
- 51% of Alexandrians approve of the Coalition Government's job performance, while
- 49% disapprove.
If a General Election were held tomorrow, for which party would you vote?
Liberal Alliance – 34% (-3%)
Socialist Party – 31% (-5%)
Union for the Democratic Movement – 10% (-5%)
Greens - 11% (+5%)
Nationalist Conservatives - 11% (+7%)
None/Independent – 1% (0%, no change)
ELIANSTADT, HIGHFIELD; ABC NEWS – Reports have surfaced in Highfield that the war criminal and murderer of Empress Asara of Natopia, Prince Adam Anushuriwân, has escaped from Walstadt to Highfield, where he now is in hiding.
Unconfirmed reports from the southern Cibola landlocked province indicate that a large number of police forces have entered the derelict province in order to find and apprehend the fugitive. The National Gendarmerie, Alexandrian Border Guard, and local law enforcement authorities have all confirmed rumors that the killer of the Natopian Empress Asara is loose in Highfield after he escaped the Natopian territory of Walstadt, and have launched a massive manhunt to capture him.
The Imperial Government has confirmed that he will then be extradited to either Natopia or Shireroth for his many crimes, the latest of which the murder of Natopian empress Asara. Prince Adam has also been the instigator of the Shirerithian civil war which ended earlier this year with a defeat for him. He has also been identified as the main organizer of many war crimes during the same war.
So far, both the local government in Highfield and law enforcement agencies have been reluctant to answer any questions from the press. Similarly, the Natopian government has not officially made any statement on the matter. However, in the Natopian legislature, the Frenzy, there have been calls to burn Adam on the stake, once he has been extradited back to Natopia. King Noah, the stepfather of Prince Adam, said, however, "I would prefer Adam to be drowned in elephant diarrhea, subsequent to having been whipped, flayed, and his wounds rubbed in with salt."
Authorities in the area have cautioned for calm and have deployed phone lines to receive tips from all sources, anonymous or sourced.
After the death of Empress Asara, a succession constitutional crisis tore Natopia apart. However, the matter seems to have settled with the coronation of Emperor Zakyrr of Natopia.
GENEVA, BAUDRIX; ABC NEWS – After a month of increasing tensions between the SANE Alliance and the USSO, Alexandrian Cibolan Commander Adm. Joseph Josse arrived in Geneva this week advocating for a number of increased capabilities — among them, improved missile defense for Terrenoire and Tapfer.
The first focus should be improving their radar systems, Josse said. Then, Alexandria should consider adding interceptors to the islands that could help defend it if Calbion or the Jingdaoese Tapferian holdings were to develop the ability to attack Alexandria with missiles.
“I have suggested that we consider putting interceptors in Terrenoire, East Baudrix, and South Tapfer that will defend them directly and that we look at the defensive radars to improve their capability,” the admiral told the ABC News on Wednesday. “That’s something we need to study much more deeply, but I think it certainly merits further discussion.”
Currently, Alexandria has interceptors in several locations. They are Valenciennes, Edgardia, Avila, Santos Laguna, New Honolulu, Hatkrou, Chambery, and Santurce. The detection of missiles heading toward those cities or much of their surrounding areas is handled by a large radar system located across the Cibolan, Euran, and Keltian Alexandrian possessions.
“I believe that our ballistic missile architecture is sufficient to protect our country today, but it can be overwhelmed,” Josse said. “And if someone else launched ICBMs against Alexandria, then someone would have to make a decision about which ones to take out or not.”
Josse's recommendation comes in the wake of fraught speculation about foreign nuclear capabilities, and conflict between that the USSO and the SANE alliances. It’s not just Geneva or Admiral Josse that’s paying attention to this spate of hostility. It’s resonating at the local level in the islands, too. Local officials and Deputies in Terrenoire, East Baudrix, South Tapfer, Rio Grande and New Alexandria are starting to chime in, demanding that the investments are made.
Terrenoire's local lawmakers have formally asked the Defense Department to help develop its nuclear-disaster-preparedness plans.
Indeed, the military was already looking into expanding the missile defense architecture across the Empire. The Missile Defense Agency is reviewing several land-based radar alternatives, said Herbert Jaillet, director of the Missile Defense Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Geneva. “Something has to be done. That’s why the Missile Defense Agency is already planning on a path forward,” Jaillet said.
Ideally, he said, space-based missile detection is “where we need to go.” But there are two principal options for ground-based protection in Terrenoire and South Tapfer. One is to build a single-faced, Medium Range Discrimination Radar, whose detection range would be long enough “to allow the interceptors to get there, probably from Santos Laguna or from Edgardia,” Jaillet said. The other is to equip the existing Aegis Ashore test range in Terrenoire with alternate high-frequency radars and interceptors of its own.
But any decisions about that will likely be a long time coming. “Any future missile defense architecture efforts or studies will be part of the National Defense Review,” said Lionel Peroché, a spokesman for the Missile Defense Agency.