10-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Hello, and thanks for choosing Alexandria!
Quote:You've just come across our forums - well, welcome! We are the Empire of the Alexandrians, a geofictional simulation (political, economic and cultural) based in the fascinating world of Micras. Alexandria's characteristics are inspired and defined by French, Spanish, Italian, Hawaiian, German, Portuguese and Indigenous cultural elements, as well as the development of authentic Alexandrian customs and traditions for over 10 years. (We were originally founded in 2002 as the "Kingdom of Madland".)
Wait a minute, I'm confused. What's Micras? What's this term I keep seeing "micronation"?
Quote:Micronationalism is the art of creating and participating in small (or "micro") "nations". Some micronations out there are serious attempts at creating an independent, sovereign country, while others like Alexandria are a lot less serious and are just games and simulations. Think of Alexandria as a government simulation on the Internet.
However, just like a real country, a micronation passes laws, has a military, conducts foreign relations with other micronations, and tons of other stuff. Some micronations even have radio stations, and others have a rich fictional culture. Alexandria is not an exception - we have been around since 2002 and we have our own rich culture and identity. Micras is the planet where Alexandria is located - and I should tell you, Alexandria is not the only micronation out there. Check out our link box on the right hand side of the index page for links that will take you beyond Alexandria to other micronations.
You can also start checking out MNCommunities.org, a collection of micronations that share web space.
To get to know Micras and the English-speaking community based around it - consider going to Hub.mn, an important micronational community forum.
How do I join Alexandria?
Quote:It's easy. Before you can get involved in Alexandria, you have to apply for citizenship in the by filling out a citizenship form - this serves as your character sheet of sorts, you will have to create a character and a biography for him/her. ("Applying for citizenship" is how people sign up to join a micronation.)
- SAMPLE CITIZENSHIP FORM WITH BIOGRAPHY
- HOW TO CREATE A CHARACTER AND A BIOGRAPHY
After you post your citizenship application, you will have to wait for the relevant government official to review your application. Once the application is approved, you're a citizen of Alexandria! If you're a "citizen", then it means you've joined the game.
Okay, I am a citizen of the Empire now, what's next?
1. Get acquainted with the people of Alexandria. - This is what you must do first when you join Alexandria - Alexandria is a political simulation, but it is also a close community. People in Alexandria are generally friendly to newbies and they are always glad to welcome you with open arms. You can send private messages to anyone in Alexandria through the boards. Also, you can check people's profiles and find out their screenames for different instant messaging systems. Don't be a stranger and mingle with people. Forge friendships. Talk to people through our forums - Place de Marmion is a good place to introduce yourself. There's also the COmmunity Help Desk which serves as a simulation development and community form for all who need help. This forum is for citizens-only. Also worth checking out: AlexChat, our national chatroom. We also have a chat room on Telegram, give its immense popularity. Please contact @eddyplolz to get added to the Telegram group chat.
2. Determine your path of involvement. - Do you want to pursue a life in public office? If so, at which level - national, provincial, local, etc? Do you want to be in the military? Serve in the Church of Alexandria? Create a business and participate in the economy? There are many avenues of opportunity in Alexandria, and you must consider which one you wish to take. The possibilities are immense and the action definitely awaits you! You can become a politician, a wealthy capitalist, a courtier of the Emperor, a priest of the Church of Alexandria, a soldier thirsty for fame and fighting, or an official zealous servant of the Emperor, unless you prefer to be an artist or a journalist? For more information, the game administrators are at your disposal.
3. Settle in your province, and contribute to your new community. - Now you are a citizen, and when you filled out your citizenship form, you picked a place to live in within the Empire. Go to the forum for your respective province or territory of residence and create a topic/thread for your character's family residence, for example! You can use that moment to tell us more about your character and his/her family and friends, as well as your character's involvement in the local community and neighborhood.
- SAMPLE RESIDENCE THREADS: Dev Family Residence, Carmicheal Family Residence, Albertine Family Residence
Consider the government of your new home. Is there a regional government formed? If so, is it active? Who else lives in the same province or territory I live in? If there isn't a local government in place and you could pursue the creation of a regional local government! Or you could try your luck in the national political arena representing your neighborhood in the Imperial Assembly!
4. Get acquainted with the use of AlexChat or Telegram. Alexandrians use AlexChat regularly as a means of communicating with each other in real time - so make sure you register your account on AlexChat to participate in regular chats with other Alexandrians like you! Alexandrians also use the Alexandria Telegram Chatroom - contact @eddyplolz using Telegram to get added.